Smile
Thursday, August 30, 2012
The island of Gran Canaria, Spain
We boarded the Fred Olson fast ferry which took us directly to Agaete, Gran Canaria one of the areas I served in as a missionary. Waiting for us at the doc was an old friend, Noelia and her two darling little girls. It was so fun to see her again! We drove up the mountain a ways to find our enchanting hotel, which was an old country home dating back to the 17th century, nicely remodeled. The home was surrounded by orange, lime, avocado and banana trees. Every morning we were awakened by a rooster who was directly under our window. It was great to walk down the narrow, cobblestone streets I knocked as a missionary. We spent a day in Galdar, another area I was in as a missionary, visiting a family I spent a lot of time with. Hortensia showed us how to make the tortilla espanola the correct way. We enjoyed the food so much while in the Canaries we had to take a picture every meal! Shawn is eating boiled potatoes with a sauce called "mojo"- very delicious! While visiting Galdar we walked right into the towns festivities. The were bringing their food offerings to the conquerer idol for the poor. They were all dressed up, singing and having a great time. We also spent some time in Las Palmas the capital city and saw the house of Christopher Columbus. Columbus took off from the Canary Islands on is voyage to the Americas. We had such a great time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What an amazing experience for you! So happy you could go.
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautiful place! Next time we will crash the party and you can show us around! I love that you got to play in the ocean this time!
ReplyDeleteWow! Looks like an awesome trip! When are you due?
ReplyDelete